We all love a spot of sunshine, but it’s also really important to stay cool and comfortable on holiday to reduce the risk of getting overheated, or facing any heat-related illnesses. That’s why we’ve pulled together some handy ideas for staying safe in hot conditions.
1. Stay hydrated: Drink water or an electrolyte-type drink frequently. In very hot weather, try to drink around three litres per day.
2. Find the shade: If possible, avoid direct sunlight or other heat sources.
3. Keep it breezy: Use ventilation or fans in enclosed areas. Why not take a small foldable fan in your bag?
4. Stay cool: Rest in cool, shaded areas or make the most of the air conditioning indoors.
5. Eat light: Eating large or heavy meals can raise your body temperature, so stick to smaller, lighter meals, especially at the hottest time of the day.
6. Drink smart: Drink tepid still or sparkling water instead of chilled water. Avoid alcohol and caffeinated beverages.
7. Dress appropriately for the weather: Wear lightweight, light-coloured and loose-fitting clothes made from natural fibres.
8. Outdoor protection: Outside, wear wide-brimmed hats, neck protectors and don’t forget sun cream!
9. Stay cool indoors: Indoors, remove any head coverings so that heat can escape more easily.
10. Give yourself space: In enclosed areas with lots of other people, try to keep a little distance so any moving air can cool you down.
11. Fill a bottle: Take an empty stainless-steel bottle or flask to the airport. You can take this through security and fill up for free at water stations in the airport terminal.
Posted: 27th Jun 2023.