Gold-flecked shores, rust-hued cliffs, pastel-popping towns... the Algarve is one pretty slice of Portugal. But dig deeper into what this southern region represents, and you’ll soon see it’s all about the activities. And when you’re feeling peckish, check out our handy food tips that we’ve rustled up.
Ria Formosa Natural Park
Embrace this coastal lagoon’s rich natural tapestry of barrier islands, marshes, saltpans and dreamy beaches. Plus, you’ll spy vivid pink flamingos as you pedal along on a hired bike or explore by foot!
Throughout its 30 hectares, this fab-for-families theme park has oodles on offer. As well as the aquarium, there's a 4D cinema, water rides and butterfly park!
Slide & Splash Waterpark
Water slides, animal shows, spa treatments – yep, you'll find them all at Slide & Splash! With rides ranging from a nerve-jangling kamikaze to a chilled-out lazy river, everyone's catered for here.
Once a quiet fishing village, Carvoeiro has grown into a fully-fledged seaside resort. Its selection of sunbathe-on-me, bronzed beaches are vast and just begging for sandcastle-building comps.
Family Golf Park
With a does-what-it-says-on-the-tin name, you can achieve putting perfection with the youngsters in Vilamoura. Hop on the tourist train there, then take a swing at the Roman-themed 18-hole courses!
From canoeing to dolphin-spotting Seafaris, there are all sorts of boat trips available. And it really is the coast with the most choice, so you can set sail from Alvor, Albufeira and loads of other marinas.
Hungry? Top 5 foodie tips
- When you’re on the go and you need a sugary pick-me-up, whizz into a bakery for the local answer to a custard tart. The humble pastel de nata will hit the spot.
- You can’t go wrong at dinnertime with peppery Portuguese peri-peri chicken. It’s guaranteed to pack a punchy flavour and keep tums full.
- Often served with a side salad and boiled potatoes, salty, grilled sardines are another Algarvian staple. They’re a barbecue’s best friend, we promise.
- Not sure where to sit down to a meal? Albufeira’s restaurants are our faves to recommend, because they’re cracking for great-value, child-friendly dishes.
- Anyone for a beachfront ice cream? Go big or go cone – is that the saying? Whatever it is, there’s a parlour hollering your name.
Posted: 30th Aug 2023. Updated: 19th Nov 2023.